Thursday, August 25, 2011

.Music musings or affects

On Sunday mornings I have to be to work much earlier than any other day so on my way I get to listen to Music and the Spoken Word with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. There is never a Sunday when I am not touched and uplifted by what I hear but occasionally it still manages to affect me in ways that surprise me. Sometimes it is a song they sing that I know they sang just for me. For example, during the Christmas season last year they sang a Christmas hymn that most don't know but is one of my favorites "Once in Royal David's City". Sometimes it is a story that is part of the Spoken Word section that touches me. this past Sunday it was a combination of both. In the spoken word part they talked of choosing to be happy or friendly because you never know how that might affect someone else but what struck me strongly is that is was choosing...choosing to be kind...choosing to be happy...choosing. What really affected me was the song they sung afterwards, mind you I found it strange that this song affected me so but it did, 76 trombones from The Music Man. I was literally moved to tears. After contemplating it for a bit I decided it had to be because Harold Hill and those who were his friends chose to believe chose to see chose to be confident and to be happy. Plus the music itself is powerful and strong and upbeat. It is music that never fails to bring a smile to me and get me pumped up and read y to go. Music is POWERFUL stuff. How does music affect you?

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine said...

It keeps me sane or drives me insane. Depends on who has control of the dial in the car. LOL! Great post Gardenia :)

Janie said...

Nice information! I'm really enjoying reading your blog here!