Saturday, March 12, 2011

First Aid3

OK last one or two or three we shall see just how many stories I get into this post.
First is about that same dirt bike from the other day. Only difference is now it is several years later, the bike no longer has brakes ( I don't mean they don't work I mean they are no longer even part of the bike), we are living in Malaysia at the top of a hill and I am now probably 11 years old. So on this beautiful sunny day I decide to go for a bike ride, somewhere in my brain I thought it would be fun to take the dirt bike out with no shoes on and go see my friends who lived at the bottom of the hill. The road was pretty steep but their driveway was twice as steep. As I am zooming down the road I wave at my Dad who is shocked and I am sure a bit worried at seeing his youngest zooming down the street with no shoes on and no brakes. I remember not being worried until I hit their driveway and then trying to figure out it ditching the bike and wiping out would be worse than hitting the back of the carport. Don't think I made a decision think it was made for me as the carport wall and my front tire then my head hit it. I remember my friends being out swimming in their concrete fish pond and laughing at me ( I think I was laughing too) it had to have looked pretty funny seeing this grinning idiot screaming towards a cement wall! Their Dad was outside too and he told them to stop laughing and then tried to see if I was alright. A scrap or two on my nose and forehead that were washed and alcohol applied to and I was out playing with my friends. Guess I am hardheaded in more than one way. I don't even recall a headache or any soreness at all later.
Now I will end with not with the final story because there are many many more but with the one that I think trumps all others. Please note if I had been living in the United States at the time of this next incident the first aid required would have been lots more but because of the fact that I was living in Singapore it was definitely an easier recovery and treatment. My Dad and were going to take our Dog Candy for a walk I was about 5. Dad and I had just walked through and closed the gate to our driveway when a local man and his monkey ( a monkey used to climb fruit trees and toss the fruit down) came walking by, Dad being the friendly fellow that is was starting chatting with the man. While they were chatting the monkey climbed a tree and I was over by this cement block/bench thing that divided our driveway from the ditch next to the tree the monkey climbed doing whatever 5 year olds do on such things. I guess the monkey got upset that there wasn't any fruit on the tree or something because all of a sudden he is leaping down onto and biting my knee. I don't recall screaming or crying I do recall limping over to dad and him telling me to go inside and show my Mom. Mom was on the phone and said she had to go because her daughter was bleeding. It was a Sunday so she called the doctor at home and told him I just got bit by a monkey. The doctor asked her if it was deep enough for stitches Mom said she thought she could stop the bleeding and all with some butterfly bandages but what about rabies and such? The Doctor said there wasn't any rabies in Singapore so no need to worry about that and was I up on my tetanus? I was and so no visit to the doctor or hospital. Here in the US it would have ended up with all kinds of shots and stitches but as it was a mothers love and care was all that was needed.
write for slice of life

1 comment:

Pirate Princess said...

First of all, I can't believe you were okay with that bike story. That is AMAZING.

I'm wondering if you were permanently traumatized by monkeys? That is certainly ORIGINAL. :D

Thanks for sharing this week Gayle!

♥♥