Thursday, January 14, 2010

the changes of life

Funny thing happened about 4 hours after I last posted on here...I got a new job!!! It was a shock to say the least. I was out to lunch with a friend on my day off when CP called and told me to get over to his work and fill out the paper work he had just fired someone. Silly me I thought it would just be an application... instead I ended up working about three hours that day and working both the new job and the old that weekend. The new job is as a line cook at The Caddy Shack which is the restaurant at the golf course in Walden. At the beginning ( and still at times) I felt totally unable to do the job of course that was complicated by the fact that during that first weekend I was working 15-18 hour days between the jobs and getting maybe an hour or two a night of sleep. sleep deprivation can do all kinds of things to your perspective. Been at the new job for almost a month now. I am learning lots and getting better and faster ( though CP might not agree on the faster part) Still not completely thinking of everything and the last two weeks Wednesdays have been horrible in a good way, that is if horrible can be good ☺. Last week it was a lack of prep on my part that did it. None of the customers knew there were issues in the kitchen so in the end it was ok and I learned a lesson in prepping properly. Last night or properly yesterday afternoon I was scrambling eggs ( a case of them) in the industrial mixer when I went to turn it off I accidentally turned it up and the eggs exploded out of the mixer and all over the place there were eggs everywhere!!! I am sure in the not distant future I will be able to laugh at it but yesterday instead of a comedy it was a tragedy. Everyone else had a good laugh at it. It tainted the rest of my day though not in the least because cleaning it up took a good 45 minutes of my timed and put me behind on my list of things to do. Which gave CP more fodder for teasing and more reason for singing his favorite song..."I'm doing everything". The only thing I wish is that we had caught on tape the egg explosion. I love the challenge of my new job I am learning lots and growing in it.
On a more personal note... I bought the first course of Wilton's cake decorating class so since I don't have time to attend a class right now I going to try to self teach. will be posting my efforts.

1 comment:

Pirate Princess said...

Oooo - I can't wait to see the cake decorating! Have you seen the "Cake Wrecks" blog? If not, you should check it out - Redbeard and I have stayed up late into the night looking at page after page and laughing our heads off - so far the turkeys are the ones that make me laugh the hardest!!

Oh - and I'm giving you an award on my blog tonight. :)